Every year the ADC Theatre offers the opportunity for two students aged 14-16 to complete a one-week work experience placement. Places are typically very competitive, but if you are interested then we'd love to hear from you.
The programme is designed to introduce the behind-the-scenes work that goes into theatre administration. During your placement you will:
- Experience a backstage tour of the theatre.
- Learn about the programming process and how the Theatre Manager decides what productions should be staged at the theatre both in and out of student term time.
- Learn how the theatre brings in audiences through its marketing and outreach strategies.
- Learn about the theatre’s Front of House operations including bar management and the Box Office.
- Learn about the theatre’s financial systems and budget.
- Learn about some of the theatre’s technical equipment and risk assessment procedures.
- Learn about the process of bringing a show to the stage: from pre-production and putting together a production team, to rehearsals and staging.
By the end of the week, you will have had the opportunity to shadow all six members of the ADC Management team, and will be encouraged to use the knowledge and skills learnt to put together a mock show application.
Please note that this is an administrative placement, and therefore does not involve any form of acting/directing. Do make sure that this is the right placement for you before applying!
Applications for our summer 2021 programme have now closed. More information about our 2022 programme will be made available in December of this year.
Please be aware that our ability to run our upcoming work experience programme depends on the current state of COVID-19 restrictions both nationally and locally. Successful candidates will be kept well-informed in the run-up to the scheduled dates with further information about whether or not the programme will be able to go ahead, and if so, in what form it will take.
"The work experience placement at the ADC is a fantastic introduction to all aspects of theatre administration, from using your creativity in the programming process to the practicalities of the theatre's finance. This placement truly does give you a deep insight into the many different skills required in the essential operations of a theatre. I would highly recommend this placement to anyone, with or without experience in theatre, as the breadth of skills that you will gain will demonstrate that there really is more to theatre than just the performance, with the placement also being a really fun way to spend some of your summer."