APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED FOR 2023 PLACEMENTS
Every year the ADC Theatre aims to offer the opportunity for two students in Years 10 or 11 (aged 14-16) to complete a one-week work experience placement. Places are typically very competitive, but if you are interested then we'd love to hear from you.
The programme is designed to introduce the behind-the-scenes work that goes into theatre administration. During your placement you will:
- Experience a backstage tour of the theatre.
- Learn about the programming process and how the Theatre Manager decides what productions should be staged at the theatre both in and out of student term time.
- Learn how the theatre brings in audiences through its marketing and outreach strategies.
- Learn about the theatre’s Front of House operations including bar management and the Box Office.
- Learn about the theatre’s financial systems and budget.
- Learn about some of the theatre’s technical equipment and risk assessment procedures.
- Learn about the process of bringing a show to the stage: from pre-production and putting together a production team, to rehearsals and staging.
By the end of the week, you will have had the opportunity to shadow members of the ADC Management team, and will be encouraged to use the knowledge and skills learnt to put together a mock show application.
Please note that this is an administrative placement, and therefore does not involve any form of acting/directing. Do make sure that this is the right placement for you before applying!
Available dates for work experience placements are:
- Monday 10th July - Friday 14th July 2023
Applications for placements in July 2023 are now open and close on Tuesday 3rd January 2023 at midday. As places are highly competitive we will not be accepting late applications and may not be able to provide feedback to all unsuccessful applicants.
To apply, please send a CV (no more than one side of A4) and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter please explain:
- Why are you interested in an administrative work placement at the ADC Theatre?
- What part of theatre administration are you most excited to learn about on your placement?
- What skills do you think are necessary for someone working in theatre administration?
- Tell us about a show you have seen and why you enjoyed it. (This doesn’t have to be a show at the ADC!)
After this first round of applications has closed, a selection of candidates will be invited for a short interview at the theatre. These will likely take place on a Saturday.
If you have any questions please do get in touch by contacting email@example.com – in the meantime good luck and we look forward to hearing from you!
"The work experience placement at the ADC is a fantastic introduction to all aspects of theatre administration, from using your creativity in the programming process to the practicalities of the theatre's finance. This placement truly does give you a deep insight into the many different skills required in the essential operations of a theatre. I would highly recommend this placement to anyone, with or without experience in theatre, as the breadth of skills that you will gain will demonstrate that there really is more to theatre than just the performance, with the placement also being a really fun way to spend some of your summer."